Restore Time Machine from a Partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ginsengbomb, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ginsengbomb macrumors member

Hello all-

Hopefully this is the right place to post. I have a rather zany Time Machine issue. I need to give a bit of background here.

I have been backing up my Macbook Pro to a shared Windows volume on my desktop PC over my network. It works fine -- no problems there.

Today, I decided to upgrade the internal HDD in my Macbook Pro. I figured (very foolishly) that I could run the System Restore from the OS X Installer CD to restore my TM volume from over my network from the PC share. Oops. Naturally, the Installer doesn't see the PC share, and I can't run the terminal command that normally forces TM to see "unsupported volumes."

So I seem stuck. Here's what I'm trying right now. I've partitioned my new HDD into two partitions, and installed OS X on the first. I'm now copying the contents of the PC time machine volume from my PC over to the -second- partition on my new HDD.

I'm planning on booting into the OS X Installer CD when the copy is finished and hoping that the Time Machine Restore sees the TM volume sitting on partition two, and will let me restore from that to partition one.

Will this work? If it won't, any other ideas?

2. ginsengbomb thread starter macrumors member