Restore Time Machine from old laptop to new one?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ruahrc, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I upgraded my old PBG4 to a new MBP yesterday. On my PBG4 I have an external drive with Time Machine backup. I noticed in setting up the new machine that I could migrate old user data to the new mac, and one of the options was via a Time Machine disk.

Does this work, even if you're going between machines? The old computer is a PowerPC laptop and the new one is Intel. Are there differences in things like drivers and stuff or would all the data and settings transfer over no problems?

I always figured that the restore from Time Machine was to restore a backup onto the same machine (i.e. recover from a crash or OS corruption) but don't know if it works from going between an old machine and a new one?

Ruahrc

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

User Migration works regardless of architecture.

3. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

4. Ruahrc thread starter macrumors 65816

Good to know. I might give this a try "just because" since I'm going to have to reinstall the OS again soon when I replace the stock HD with a SSD. Although the one Windows habit I can't shake (and I don't think this is a bad thing) is to reinstall the OS clean every time. All I need to do in terms of restoration is to just copy some apps over and drop in my Documents/iTunes/etc folders. Pretty easy task.

Ruahrc

5. cheesynz macrumors newbie

cheesynz

continuing to retrie back ups from time machine on new laptop

Is it possible to continue to retrieve from a time machines past back ups when i have upgraded laptops? I have over a years worth of back ups and might wanna still retrieve from these when I upgrade laptops later next month - is this possible or not?
    OR is it possible to partition the back up disk so I can still get to old back ups or not?
    Is there any solution?
    Other wise seems pretty daft to back up continuously and then these be completely defunct if you change or up grade laptops - defeats purpose! http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gif