Restore Time machine (iMac to Macbook Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by thewright1, Jan 10, 2012.

1. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure something out. I have been using time machine to backup my imac. I recently got a macbook pro, and I'd like to restore my imac backup onto my macbook pro. Is this possible? I've been reading that it can work going from one imac to another or from a macbook pro to another, but i haven't found anything (solid) that tells me if i can restore across these two systems. Everything i search for tells how to use time machine, but not for my question specifically. Has anyone had success with this type of operation?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your best bet would be to use the use the Migration Assistant for this. Just start the migration assistant on the new machine (if a fresh machine it will start as part of setup) and point the migration assistant to the Time Machine backup set you wish to import. That will bring in all your apps, settings, user accounts, and documents/music etc.

3. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

Thanks for the response. I was just checking that out on the discussion.apple boards. Apparently you can just retore before initial start up or use the migration assistant. I guess either way is fine. Thanks for the response!