Restore Time Machine Items

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rh535, Apr 9, 2008.

1. rh535 macrumors member

I had to reinstall Leopard. I didn't use my TM backup. I want to restore my contacts in Address Book and iCal items. How do i restore those?

2. spooky mulder macrumors regular

ok here is what you need to do. Assuming that you do indeed have a backup on an external hard drive.

1. Open up address book
    2. Plug in external hard drive and enter time machine with address book open.
    3 now you should be able to go back through time in your address book and retrieve what you need.

Rinse and repeat for ical..

let me know what happens.
    :apple:

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What kind of reinstall did you do? Archive and Install, Clean install? If you did a clean install and you didn't make a backup, I'm afraid you're hosed.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you cant use the Time Machine interface in iCal. only in Finder, Address Book, iPhoto and Mail. hopefully capabilities are added to iCal and all of iLife (including iTunes)

5. rh535 thread starter macrumors member

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What kind of a backup did you make beforehand?

7. spooky mulder macrumors regular

did you have a backup on time machine before you decided to do a clean install?

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

did he not use TM at all when he was using Leopard or just not use the TM restore feature on the install DVD?

9. spooky mulder macrumors regular

it sounds as if he didn't do a restore from TM and did a clean install straight from DVD. And now that i read it a little closer he prob didn't even use time machine at all.

10. rh535 thread starter macrumors member

I made a backup of my computer with Time Machine before i did a clean install. I had to do a clean install to fix some problems.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

does the space interface work when you click on the Time Machine icon in the dock while in the Finder? have you set it up for the new install? it may not simply just continue working im not sure.

if so then go to "Your Time Machine drive/Backup.backupdb/Your Mac's name/Macintosh HD/Users/You/Library/Application Support" and copy Address Book and then paste it into the Application Support on your main hard drive.