Restore TM backup to 2 MacBooks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ifti, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I have a Time Machine backup of the MacBook Pro in my sig, which I have just sold.

I am looking to buy a new MacBook Air 11 for now, and a rMBP 15 when the next update comes.

The rMBP will have a complete Time Machine restore of everything - settings, applications, etc as that will be my main workhorse.

Can I also use that Time Machine backup to restore just settings onto the MBA - not applications? I just want stuff like my bookmarks, backgrounds, all my OSX settings etc, restored - not the apps.

Will it conflict in any way between machines if I do this (ie, the applications will only be restored to the rMBP, but settings on both)?

2. Bear macrumors G3

On the MacBook air, go in to System Preferences->Sharing and change the name of the computer. You dont want multiple computers with the same name. This name affects the Time Machine backups and since the Air is not a full restore of your information, it would be better to change the name of the Air.

Also, depending on the application, some of them are licensed for use on more than one computer under various conditions.

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the computer name tip - are there any other changes I need to make?
    My Server runs iTunes and all other shared files etc, so nothing to be done on that front!

My applications wont be restored to both machines as the Air will only be used for basic stuff most of the time. The only app that needs to be on both is probably MS Office 2011 - but when I purchased that it came with a 3 user license anyway.
    The rMBP will have all the applications restored to it - just the one system.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Need? Probably just need to cleanup which Applications start automatically when you login and possibly some dock cleanup. You may want to tweak some system preferences, but nothing else that should need to be touched.