restore to 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by heisenberg123, May 30, 2011.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

heres my story

I was on 4.1 for the longest time jailbroken with greenpoison

upgraded to 4.3.3 using itunes then jailbroke with RedSnow, when i saved my 4.3.3 blobs with tiny umbrella, it added the firmwares between 4.1 and 4.3.3

was getting random safemode crashes on 4.3.3 so i wanted to try another firmware maybe mostly out of bordom so i tried to downgrade to 4.2.1 and every time i tried i got error 1013, kicking it out of recovery mode just looped it back in recovery, read online about changing the host file did what i read that didnt work still get stuck in recovery

was able to downgrade back to 4.1 no problem so i dont think its an issue of not knowing how to downgrade, but why cant restore to 4.2.1 even thought tiny umbrellas list it as a saved blob?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I believe for 4.2.1 you have to use the "Fix Recovery" feature in TinyUmbrella.

3. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

can you elaberate on that please?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

After restoring to 4.2.1 and the 1013 errors pops up click on Fix Recovery in TinyUmbrella. Then launch the fix recovery software.

You have to download it from the tiny umbrella blog here: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

After launching the fix recovery software, it will then see if your iPhone is in DFU mode and jailbreak.

5. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks

6. jm821 macrumors newbie

(I had to sign up on this forum to elaborate PsstGreek's comment)

TU is the preferred method and the best method kick/fix your idevice from recovery mode. In my case that was not the solution for iOS4.2.1. (having blobs from 4.1 to 4.3.3) and it seems like 4.2.1 doesn't play nice with the recovery mode fix (for me that is, even with manually switching to sauriks server, having TU switch to sauriks server, running admin mode and win xp compatibility).

Since you are getting error code 1013 and are stuck in recovery bootloop, 1013 means that your idevice installed the iOS software correctly, it is just stuck in recovery bootloop. Close out TU and iTunes and run greenpois0n JB and follow the onscreen commands- even though your idevice is showing the connect to iTunes screen, (greenpois0n requires you to enter DFU mode to install the jailbreak) it will still jailbreak and kick your idevice out of recovery and you'll be back to normal. (Did this 3 times because of the 3 day weekend- no work business on schedule so it was a good weekend to try out alot tweaks)

Hope this helps

7. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so you saying jailbreak it as if there was no error?

8. kapolani macrumors regular

I had the same problem.

I'm very comfortable with computers, the whole jailbreak scene etc, but this error threw for a loop.

I was on 4.1 for the longest time. Out of sheer boredom and for some reason wanting to get animated boot logos I restored to 4.2.1 recently and proceeded to jailbreak. Didn't work out that way...

It took me a couple of hours to figure out (search google) for the fix. The abobe posts are correct. You can use tinyumbrella to kick you out of that endless loop. Apple inserted another firmware check starting around 4.2.1. If you don't pass that check, endless loop.

Tinyumbrella didn't 'work' for me. I had to download the fixrecovery .exe as a standalone. When first run it gave me an error stating I was missing a .dll file. Easily googled that up and got it to work.

I wish I would have known about the greenpoison trick.

9. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im still not clear on this green poison trick so even though i get stuck at error 1013 before i even restore or set up as new device, technically 4.2.1 is installed then i just jailbreak using 4.2.1 instructions and it will kick out of the 1013 error and be jailbroken? then i can restore from backup to add my sms, photos ect??

or am i better off doing what you did use fixrecovery then if i get an error just google the error for the fix? was the fix for your error easy to understand?

10. jm821 macrumors newbie

Yes, as long as you got error code 1013, you're just stuck in the bootloop. Greenpois0n will jb and then kick it out of bootloop. Make sure to run greenpois0n as admin.

11. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

then i can restore from a backup after all this correct?

12. jm821 macrumors newbie

Yes you can although i always recommend setting up as a new phone/device if you venture into the jb world. Restoring from back up is a personal preference, restores may contain previous errors and restoring from one iOS version from another (iOS 3.0 to iOS 4.0) is not recommended as the file and folder locations may have moved from on version to the other.

My preference is to set up as new phone/device. YMMV

Let us know if you have successfully restored back to 4.2.1 using one of the many methods we described above.

13. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ok thank for your advice ive always restored from back up to have my photos and sms history but its not that big of a deal to start from fresh if you noticed it to avoid less issues

ill first try using that fixrestore . exe if that doesnt work adn i still get 1013 error ill try the jailbreak method, thank for the help

14. jm821 macrumors newbie

No problem. Keep us updated.

"Friends don't let friends run stock iOS".

15. Trey1984 macrumors regular

yup..thats what i did earlier and it was fine

16. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks guys that was very easy im successfully jailbroken on 4.2.1, i could not get the fixrecovery to work even after i downloaded the missing dll file the fixrecovery was saying waiting for device to enter dfu even though it was i couldnt make it find it so i used greenpoison RC6 and jailbroke it even though it was stuck at the itunes and plug screen and it worked perfect, thanks again

17. jm821 macrumors newbie

That's great news. Grats on successfully restoring back to 4.2.1! I've usually ran into the same issue you experienced when ive downgraded other peoples idevices and used their computer.

Remember error code 1013 just means the iOS firmware installed correctly and is stuck in bootloop. So your still good to go to jb! Just let the jb tool kick it out of recovery bootloop during the jb install!

18. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yup great to know now, could of saved about 4 hours from yesterday though lol i was going from 4.1 to 4.3.3 back to 4.1 but couldnt figure out that 4.2.1 issue

everyone had a different opinion on how to change the "host" file to make it kick out of 1013 error if i wouldnt of known just jailbreak it, oh well i have fun arguing with computers once in a while but glad to final have 4.2.1, now i just hope the animated boot logos were worth all the headaches lol

19. jm821 macrumors newbie

Well it is worth it regardless of the animated boot logos. You gained some knowledge of jailbreaking and I'm sure many others are learning this throughout your experience. This is the jailbreak world, be prepared for heaches and many hours of nonsense, lol.