Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhartline1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
I jailbroke my iphone 5 and quickly had problems with apps crashing, both Cydia and native apps. I installed an app to monitor my memory being used and noticed that even after I force quit apps, most of my memory was still being used. I eventually had to make the habit of hard resetting my phone, which became very annoying. The memory app told me that many cydia processes were still running and using a lot of memory.

I decided to get rid of the jailbreak and restored to a backup, but unfortunately that backup was after the jailbreak...so, many of the jailbreak remnants (processes) were transferred over. Which I found out is one way Apple can tell if you have ever jailbroke your device. Now I have the same memory issue and apps crash (usually after letting me know that memory is low and that the app may crash).

I know I can restore to factory settings and set the phone up as a new device - and not restore to a previous backup...BUT I want to keep contacts and calendar entries.

Is this possible?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I jailbroke my iphone 5 and quickly had problems with apps crashing, both Cydia and native apps. I installed an app to monitor my memory being used and noticed that even after I force quit apps, most of my memory was still being used. I eventually had to make the habit of hard resetting my phone, which became very annoying. The memory app told me that many cydia processes were still running and using a lot of memory.

I decided to get rid of the jailbreak and restored to a backup, but unfortunately that backup was after the jailbreak...so, many of the jailbreak remnants (processes) were transferred over. Which I found out is one way Apple can tell if you have ever jailbroke your device. Now I have the same memory issue and apps crash (usually after letting me know that memory is low and that the app may crash).

I know I can restore to factory settings and set the phone up as a new device - and not restore to a previous backup...BUT I want to keep contacts and calendar entries.

Is this possible?

you can backup your contacts and calendar to icloud. however, doing a restore will cause you to give up your jailbreak as you can only restore to iOS 6.1.3 which is not jailbreakable

nhartline1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Giving up my jailbreak ability to jailbreak is ok. So just to make sure I am understanding...I should...

(1) Backup to iCloud
(2) Restore iPhone to factory settings
(3) Setup as New Device - without backup

...then the part I'm not sure about...
(4) Transfer contacts, calendar, etc from iCloud back to phone

?

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Giving up my jailbreak ability to jailbreak is ok. So just to make sure I am understanding...I should...

(1) Backup to iCloud
(2) Restore iPhone to factory settings
(3) Setup as New Device - without backup

...then the part I'm not sure about...
(4) Transfer contacts, calendar, etc from iCloud back to phone

?

If you have backed up your contacts and calendar in iCloud and you set up the device with the same iCloud account those things should transfer back over automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.