Restore to iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The JTizzle, Jun 16, 2010.

1. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

I have had every model iPhone since the first but I have always "set up as new phone" when I get new hardware and reinstall all my apps fresh.

With the soon arrival of my iPhone 4 right around the corner I got to wonder if it is possible to restore from a backup to a new model? Can I use my last 3GS backup to setup my iPhone 4 on the 24th or is it better to just keep setting it up as a new phone each time?

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Yes you should be able to. It will save where your app are, text messages, etc.

3. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Ok cool. I never really looked into it but wasn't sure if it would work with each phone having different ios builds.

4. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

You can but honestly with new hardware I'd start fresh and resync.

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

you were able to to that with every new iphone, i like to do it u can start fresh but i like to have all my app data

6. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Yah I'll probably go fresh again, but its nice to know the option for the restore is there.

7. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

Ok so i want to start fresh but i dont want to lose my contacts... Is there anyway to start fresh without having to manually re-enter all my contact information? Really my contact info is the only thing i dont feel like losing. I'm never going to go back and read old texts... So i could care less about that. And all the apps we purchase are in iTunes, right? Like so we can start fresh and just add the apps manually as we want them?

8. mbob macrumors member

Sync with something like Outlook or Mac contacts. Or better, buy Mobileme or use Google.