Restore to Leopard from Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wesmcbride, Oct 19, 2009.

1. wesmcbride macrumors newbie

So I either suck at searching or there isn't much info about it. I got this imac in 2007 with 10.4. When 10.5 came out my brother-in-law bought the family pack and I used it. He lives nowhere near me. My hard drive got erased. It was backed through time machine. However, when I restored my hard drive I used the 10.4 disks that came with the computer.

Now, is there a way to restore my files that were backed up via time machine and get my computer back to being in leopard without having access to the leopard install disk?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you want to do a full system restore from Time Machine you will need the Leopard install disk to boot up with. There's no automated/supported way of telling TM to restore the OS w/o the 10.5 disk. you cannot restore the OS while booting up off the hard drive and the 10.4 doesn't have the support of Time Machine.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Seems like I read somewhere that a Family Pack license is intended to be used on multiple computers in the same household. But, I couldn't quickly find a copy of a license agreement online. Even as a practical matter, you see the obvious obstacle of sharing across households. While a student away at college potentially presents a similar situation, I think that's still within the spirit of the agreement.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You are correct, it does say that

5. wesmcbride thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, he went to law school...So if I go buy snow leopard would that still restore everything?

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

kind of vague

Snow Leopard would work with Time Machine. Does that answer your question?

7. wesmcbride thread starter macrumors newbie