Restore to original when selling old phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zjazz, Oct 9, 2011.

1. zjazz macrumors 6502

I have a buyer for my 3GS. It has 4.1 on it installed, and the buyer asks me not to update IOS so he can jailbreak and unlock easily.
    I need to restore to original as I do not want to give my personal information with the phone. So if I restore will it download latest IOS automatically or it will just restore to IOS that is currently on the phone?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If you hit the restore button on iTunes it will update it to the latest 4.3.5 FW. Do you have saved SHSH blobs for 4.1? If so, u can download the 4.1 FW IPSW file and use that to restore.

3. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

It will reset with the iOS currently on the phone.

4. zjazz, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

i do not know what are those blobs??? how to save them???

ohh...it will be hard to restore i guess without updating if it downloads latest IOS automatically, and buyer wants older IOS.....

----------

Can I just ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS instead? will it erase all my info from the phone?

5. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

The only way to update the phone's software is to plug it into iTunes and update it yourself.

And yes, go to settings/general/reset/erase all content and settings. And take your SIM card out if you have one.

6. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks!
    is there anything else I should do before I sell my old phone to make sure my info is not there anymore?