Restore too large to fit on new MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noreception, Dec 8, 2014.

1. noreception macrumors newbie

Hey.

So I am having some issues with restoring a new MBPr from an older back-up.

I recently traded down from a 512g to a 256g and the back up I have is too large.

I want to delete needless info from the back up but I cannot seem to be able to find a way into the data that will allow for me to do so.

I tried accessing it from the TIMEMACHINE logo but it wont show me the old data. I also went through the disk utility and I cannot delete data.

Can anyone assist me?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Try migration assistant...

you can then choose which bits to move accross...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Obviously you cannot do a full time machine restore since you're going from a larger drive to a smaller drive.

In TM, you can select what you want to restore, so just selecting the data piece by piece.

4. leman macrumors 604

You can open the TM volume in Finder — its just a bunch of files and you can 'restore' what you need manually by copying the files back.

5. noreception thread starter macrumors newbie

You cannot restore individual files from a TM back up that belong to a different Mac.

I used migration assistant to select units of files to restore.

It was sluggish and annoying but it worked.

I appreciate the assistance guys.

6. leman macrumors 604

Of course you can. You just copy them over. As I said before, a TM backup is just a collection of time-stamped directories with your backed up files. You don't need to use the TM interface at all to restore your files.

7. noreception thread starter macrumors newbie

The directory for TM came up empty through the interface. When I tried to restore directly from the drive itself it told me that I cannot restore!

8. leman macrumors 604

Can you explain what you mean by 'trying to restore directly from the drive'? What do you see if you just open the drive with Finder?