Restore Touch Before Update to 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by ArchiMark, Jun 15, 2008.

1. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what I'd need to do to update/upgrade my iPod Touch 16GB to 2.0 (once it's released) that is now jailbroke at 1.1.2??

Would I need to restore my Touch first back to factory state before doing upgrade at iTunes store??

:confused:

Thanks.

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Yes you will need to restore. 2.0 will offer basically the same functionality as 'jail-breaking' currently does. You will lose all your 3rd Party applications which you currently have installed through installer.app and will be returned to Apple locked. In place, you will gain full access to the iTunes App Store which will feature thousands of SDK developed applications for iPhone and iPod touch, both purchasable and free, which due to Apple's Interface Builder and SDK regulations, will look, feel and function 100 times better than the current applications available when jail-broken.

I firmly believe Apple will likely implement huge security and obstacles into firmware v2.0 to stop jail-breakers in their tracks.

The software will cost $9.95 and will be available to download through iTunes, in early July, or possibly even earlier.

R-Fly

3. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Note: ZiBri (ZiPhone guy) has already jailbroken the 2.0 Beta. If the final release is anything like the beta, then we should be able to jailbreak. This will give us access to things that apple doesnt want us to have... Summerboard, Customize, Intelliscreen, Terminal, etc.

Speaking of which... where IS my iPod?

4. ArchiMark thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks R-Fly!

Thanks for the detailed and helpful reply, R-Fly!!

Think I got it now... :)

So, hopefully, all or most of the 3rd party apps I'm using now will be available through the iTunes store.....otherwise, I won't be able to install them unless someone jailbreaks 2.0, right????
    ;)

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

There is a big different in the ability to jail-break a 'beta' version of 2.0, seeded to developers for that very purpose, to identify security flaws and plug them, than it is to jail-break the v2.0 final candidate. I think the final candidate will be an entirely different story. Ok, the first 4 beta's have been jail-broken, but Beta 5 onwards (beta 7 is the current) haven't.

No problem. Yes, unless someone breaks Apple's final candidate of v2.0, of which v2.0 hasn't hit final candidate yet - and the last 3 betas have not been able to be jail-broken - due to huge security and Apple only seeding them to trusted sources, then the applications which are not available through the App Store will no longer be available to you.

R-Fly

6. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Will the update also include the Cisco VPN client and the Exchange mail synchronisation, like the iPhone 3G? That would be reason enough for me to buy one immediately...

7. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Yes, Software v2.0 includes iPhone and ipod touch support for both Cisco over VPN and full Microsoft Exchange Support.

R-Fly