Restore & Upgrade to Snow Leopard with out Existing Discs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spinnaay, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Spinnaay macrumors member

Spinnaay

Hi All,

As the most knowledgable of the lot I thought I'd come to you with my question.

I have just brought a two year old MBP running 10.5.8 without any availble disc's and full to the brim with my friends old things.

I want to do a couple of things....

Restore the MBP to clean it out
    Upgrade to 10.6
    Migrate my data, programs and settings from my old MB running 10.6

Can I just buy a copy of snow leopard and install it on to the MBP while doing a restore at the same point. I can then run the 10.6 to 10.6 migrate tool.

Thanks.

T

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes. If you buy a copy of Snow Leopard in the store, it's a full copy, so you won't have any issues.

jW

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

The retail copy of Snow Leopard doesn't include iLife.

4. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Just replaced my iMac and MB PRO (2008s with current models). Some else in the family will be using the 2008 models) I wiped the HD of both with Disk utility 7 pass and reinstalled Snow Leopard from retail disk with no issues. (But as old-wiz points out, iLife apps are not in the retail SL).

I then ran software update (took 3 cycles of it to update everything). I did have a retail family pack of iLife and installed iLife that way.

5. Spinnaay thread starter macrumors member

Spinnaay

Thanks all.

I can buy the needed iLife apps from the app store now. Cheaper way to do it.

Off to apple.com I go.

Big help!