Restore vs Sync for Movie & Other Libraries

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JimAtLaw, Mar 16, 2012.

1. JimAtLaw, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

My AT&T 64GB is charging now, but wondering - do I leave it set up as a new iPad and sync, or do a restore?

What occurs to me is that if I do a restore, I think it may then be using the lower resolution I have on the iPad 2 for, e.g., my movie library, as I didn't think it would upload the HD version of movies to an iOS device that didn't have the resolution for it.

Is that right, in which case a sync seems preferable, or is it smart enough to figure out the difference in devices and automatically use the higher resolution where available even when restoring from a backup?

Much obliged for any input here.

2. JimAtLaw, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

JimAtLaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I went ahead and did a restore and it seems it was smart enough to resize photos, etc., as the photo library grew considerably from its size on the iPad 2, but the movies did *not* grow even though on the Mac, I have both standard def and high def versions. Any thoughts on why this would be so?

EDIT: So after a bit of poking about, it appears that it was putting the HD versions on the iPad 2 as well, even though it was not capable of fully displaying that resolution! Not sure why it would, but satisfied - using restore to move from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3 does not result in any loss of resolution.