"Restore" vs. "Upgrade"? Or, how do I "wipe" an iPT?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by jbarr, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jbarr macrumors regular

If I take my Jailbroken iPod Touch and do a Restore through iTunes using the latest firmware file (in this case, v1.1.4) Just exactly does Restore do? Does it actually "wipe" the entire iPod Touch, or does it only "replace" the files specific to the firmware distribution? Likewise, does this differ from doing an "Upgrade"?

I ask, because I when I last upgraded to v1.1.4 and then Jailbroke my iPod Touch, it didn't seem to "clear out" some of the stuff I had added from a previous Jailbreak. Let me explain:

A few months ago, I originally Jailbroke my new IPT by downgrading to v1.1, Jailbreaking using the original Web hack, prepped for a v1.1.2 Jailbreak, upgraded to v1.1.2 and then Jailbroke again. The result was a nicely Jailbroken v1.1.2 iPT.

Then v1.1.3 came out, so I did an upgrade to v1.1.3. My added apps were apparently gone, so I Jailbroke v1.1.3 with an early release of ZiPhone. When I re-installed some previous apps, many of the "preferences" seemed to be retained from the last Jailbreak.

Finally, v1.1.4 was released, so I again did an upgrade to v1.1.4, and again used ZiPhone to Jailbreak it. I re-installed my apps, and again, it appears that there were remnants from prior installs.

So that said, it doesn't appear that upgrading has necessarily wiped clean my iPod Touch between upgrades and Jailbreaks.

So, is there a way to actually "wipe" an iPT of all old data, install the latest firmware, and then use the latest version of ZiPhone to Jailbreak it?

2. boramora macrumors member

boramora

When you restore an iPod touch with the iTunes "Restore" button, it wipes your iPod touch clean along with the fresh firmware. Some of the settings that you said were retained were probably because your iTunes did a settings backup from your previous update/connection.

When you "upgrade" an iPod touch from for example 1.1.3 to 1.1.4, all or most your settings and files should still be there with the new firmware. The reason some of your old jailbroken apps that disappeared were probably cause the new firmware update disabled/broke them... since we all know how Apple maliciously kills off jailbreak stuff with new updates.

I hope that helps =]

3. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20