Restore / wipe without losing JB/unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Domino8282, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I'm selling my 3GS on E-Bay, and have successfully JB/unlocked it to iOS4 (see my other thread.. was a semi-unconventional JB and lots of fun).

Anyhow, I've searched for an easy way to prep my phone for sale without losing the jailbreak/unlock and the solutions I've found seem inefficient. Lots of people suggest creating a fake iTunes account and syncing to it.

What happens if you go into Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings? I know that in a non-JB situation, when this process is complete the phone is put into restore mode and must then be sync'd. What I don't know is whether my buyer could then sync with his iTunes and be good to go, or whether it spoils the JB/unlock.

Thanks!

2. MacKeeper-fan macrumors member

MacKeeper-fan

When I used the erase all content and settings feature on my jailbroken 3gs, it did just that. It wipes everything, jailbreak and all.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not possible to wipe everything or restore without losing your jb and unlock.

4. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thanks, so what do you guys suggest doing? Should I go through that process of creating a "fake" iTunes account and syncing to it? I'd rather not have to do that...

If I set it up as a new phone right after the JB, not checking any of my stuff for syncing, and mail the phone like that, can the buyer just plug in on his iTunes and sync while maintaining the JB?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can still restore it to the custom 4.0 ipsw created with pwnage. Setup as new phone on iTunes. Don't restore from any of your backups.
    Then install ultrasnow thru cydia to unlock and send it out.