Restore with old firmware and re-jailbreak 3gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iphonemart, Jan 30, 2012.

1. iphonemart macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I am planning to sell my 3gs (AT&T) that is currently jailbroken (used jailbreakme.com) and unlocked with ultrasn0w.
    I want to restore it to factory settings to get rid of all my private data.
    As far as I know, I can just restore it with the same firmware it currently has (4.0) by holding down the Shift key while clicking the restore button in iTunes. I have already downloaded the original firmware.
    After restoring it, I would go to jailbreakme.com to jailbreak it again.

Am I on the right track, or am I missing something?
    How do I activate it? Does it automatically activate with the jailbreak?
    I have an AT&T SIM, but it's not active, can I still use it to activate?

The 5th and 6th digit of the SN are 37. The Modem Firmware is 05.13.04

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Do you have shsh blob save doe 4.0? If not, you can't restore to that firmware.

3. iphonemart thread starter macrumors newbie

If I remember correctly, when I jailbroke it, Cydia asked me if I wanted to save the blob, and I said yes. Is it saved on their server, or is it saved on my local computer? If it's saved locally, then I don't have it anymore.

Can I still save the shsh blob now, before restoring it?

Or what is the easiest route for me to go?

----------

The firmware currently installed is 4.0, so I am not downgrading, just restoring with the same version.

4. PhazeII macrumors member

1) if you reset and erase everything you will be forced to connect to iTunes and upgrade.

2) if you reset and erase then restore with shsh blobs you phone will get stuck on apple logo likely which will force u to upgrade to latest firmware.

5. iphonemart thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that if I connect to iTunes, and hold the SHIFT key down while clicking on the restore button, I could pick a locally saved firmware file, in this case, the same version the phone currently has. Is this correct?

So, if I can't reset and restore, how do I get rid of my private data on the phone without loosing the jailbreak and unlock?

6. iphonemart thread starter macrumors newbie

I have now downloaded my blobs from Cydia.
    I know I can use iFaith to make a custom firmware. Will it update my baseband if I restore to the same version of firmware it currently has (4.0)?
    How can I activate my phone after restoring it? Does an inactive AT&T SIM work for that?

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Use iFaith. It can create a custom IPSW and if it's the same version it won't update baseband.

To be extra sure you can use redsnow or pwnage tool to make a pre-acticated and jailbroken IPSW from the pre-signed IPSW.

Yes, an inactive SIM works for activation.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you restore on the same firmware and one that has the same baseband your baseband will be the same.
    And yes you can activate it officially with any inactive AT&T sim.

9. iphonemart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for you help!
    I restored the phone with and iFaith customized iOS 4.0 preserving the old baseband and then jailbroke it with jailbreakme.
    Since it worked nice and wasn't too hard to do, I decided to give iOS 5.01 a try, customizing it with iFaith and preserving the old baseband as well. It worked good as well, but I need to jailbreak it and unlock it.

I would like to use redsn0w to jailbreak it, with the iOS 5.01 already installed. My baseband is 05.13.04. Do you know if redsn0w will all of the sudden update the baseband during jailbreaking?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you will be fine.
    Redsnow would never update or even touch the baseband. It's just a jb program. It will just jb and install cydia that's all.

11. iphonemart thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked! 3GS with iOS 5.01, jailbroken and unlocked.

Thanks for all your help!

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Congrats.