Restore your camera's lens and chrome trim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by one1, Oct 3, 2007.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I was getting halo's and overall glare on my pics from my phone. A glance at the lens revealed some light surface scratches. Take some Meguiars Plastx and put it on a q-tip then spin it in a circle on the lens. It'll buff the lens to a high polish and looks excellent. Even the color balance is better now.

:)

If you have scratches on your chrome like I did, grab some Meguiars Gold Class metal polish and a rag. After a few rubs it will look like new.

The pics below are after only one application. I'll go back for a second application and make it perfect.

before:
    [​IMG]

during
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

2. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

$8 Bucks. It's worth it's weight in gold. helps keep the phone scratch free as well as the lens

[​IMG]

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not looking for alternatives to running neekid, just trying to help those that suffer the consequences of doing so. :) These techniques will put you right back on top of the game :)

4. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I know, my response isn't meant to contradict yours at all. Just trying to help others also. The jelly pad thing is really great. I noticed you had your iPhone lying on that surface without a jelly pad. I'm overprotective of my phone. Every time i see an iphone lying on a surface like that i cringe :eek:

5. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

I would advise that if you're going to use a metal (or any other kind or) polish on your iPhone, that you carefully mask the display using some 3m painter's tape prior to application.

The last thing that you'd want to do is scratch your screen while de-scratching your chrome.

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Yeah putting the iPhone on a desk is absolutely crazy. How can any would show such disregard for their property. :rolleyes:

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

sticky pad, how does that work? Is it actually sticky? I wouldn't want the back of my phone getting all icky...

8. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

Where can we pick this stuff up (i.e., Target or Walmart in a specific department, or only at a specialty store?)

M

9. overcast macrumors 6502a

Yes it's just like glue, once you put it on there that's it.

It's a tacky rubber surface, that's it. :rolleyes:

10. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

No need, this does not affect it in any way. I double tested with a dremel and a polishing tip and couldn't cause damage.

11. mr.666 macrumors member

Meguiars makes the best stuff ever!!! i always can trust their products to do what they say they will.

12. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's a comparison to show the difference this lens polishing has made.

photo 1 was taken in a store while I was playing with the camera when I first got the phone. This haze was dominant in any lighting situation, as was the green tint to all the pics.

(click for larger images)

[​IMG]

photo 2 was taken a moment ago.

[​IMG]

No more haze or green tint. :)

13. mrJnC macrumors regular

Can you post a picture of a sheet of paper or a white wall? Thx.

14. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is as close as I can get. It changed the contrast on the top left corner from where I had it bent back holding it and changing the light. Otherwise it would have balanced out well.

[​IMG]