Restored from TM, now iPhoto won't open

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by selloutt, Jul 14, 2012.

1. selloutt macrumors member

Mar 3, 2011

I restored my AIR from a time machine backup from my pro (both running LION). Everything went smooth except iPhoto. Garageband opens fine.

When i go to open iPhoto, i get a dialog box that says

"In order to open iPhoto, you need to update to the latest version. Please run software update to install it now"

But when I run the software update it says my software update is up-to-date.

Any ideas why this happened and what is the best way to reinstall iPhoto.?

2. ayres macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2010
    this recently happened to me, too. iphoto is known to have issues with migration... don't know why...

i know you ran software update, but (as a shot in the dark), also check for iphoto updates in the app store.

this is a very common problem, so google 'rebuild iphoto library', and the apple support page will suffice for what to do.
  3. kboller07 macrumors member

Mar 24, 2007
    I had the same problem and if its not an app store install of iPhoto you can go to and download the next incremental update from your current version. Once that is installed you can now go to software update and it should work :)
  4. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

Mar 3, 2011
    Yep you nailed it on the head. I went in to apple and thats what they did - the incremental update and then the download.

Thanks guys. !