Restored iMac - New music has appeared?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MaxMac29, Oct 28, 2012.

1. MaxMac29 macrumors newbie

Hello!

Can anyone please shed some light on this?

I recently did a clean install of my computer because my computer was getting slower and slower with time and kept freezing that I had to do a hard-restart every day. I had everything backed up with Time Machine & everything was fine. Then, I did a virus scan after restoring some info from Time Machine and some warnings came up. Being a bit paranoid, I did another clean install.

Between the first and second clean install, I imported some music from some CDs I had lying around but had NOT used time machine as I had done in the past (i.e. it wasn't even connected), so I was not expecting it to be present after the 2nd clean install. The music was sync'd with my iPhone over WiFi.

Now, when I did the 2nd clean install, I restored the music off the time machine (which did not have this new music on it), but the music I had imported was still in my iTunes! Can someone explain to me how this is even possible as I'm concerned this is something to do with the virus messing things up?

Any help is appreciated!
    Thank you!

----------

Ok, a little more info that I've just found out. My computer did in fact SOMEHOW back-up to my time machine (I must have plugged it in I guess?).

This backed up without my authorisation - is this something I should be worried about?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no Mac OS X viruses that exist in the wild, and no Mac malware creates the issues you described. When troubleshooting on a Mac, malware is the last possibility you should consider, not the first. Unless things change dramatically in the future, the average Mac user will likely never encounter any Mac malware.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
    Time Machine creates backups automatically in the background. You don't have to authorize each backup.