Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Hello everyone;
So, I jailbroke my iPhone and then developed the crack by the silence switch. Incidentally it's never been dropped etc. Anyway, I called Rogers and they've sent me a new one. I restored my phone but restored from the backup that I made while it was jailbroken. Otherwise my last backup would have been from a month before.
When I restarted my phone, everything was back to normal except my carrier logo which I had changed. The carrier logo still retains the jailbroken hack.
Why is this happening if the phone is restored, and is the phone restored? Before I return it I'll set it up as a new phone to alleviate the problem but I found this interesting. Can it retain the hacked logo and not be jailbroken?
You're time and insight is much appreciated.
Mick

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Some jailbreak hacks, like changing the carrier logos and enabling emoji, write the changes into system files that get backed up during the backup process, and so if you restore from a saved backup, these changes are restored along with other system settings. But your phone isn't jailbroken, so no further changes can be made to your phone's system files.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
I think you need to restore to factory and not restore from backup.

Ahh ok. That's a bit of a pain though, is it not? I lose all my notes and settings etc. correct? Is there a way around this?
Another question: When I receive my new phone, if I restore that one from my jailbroken backup, will it then be jailbroken as well?
Thanks
Mick

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Some jailbreak hacks, like changing the carrier logos and enabling emoji, write the changes into system files that get backed up during the backup process, and so if you restore from a saved backup, these changes are restored along with other system settings. But your phone isn't jailbroken, so no further changes can be made to your phone's system files.

Thanks for answering that. I was replying when you wrote this. It makes sense. Much appreciated.

Mick

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Ahh ok. That's a bit of a pain though, is it not? I lose all my notes and settings etc. correct? Is there a way around this?
Another question: When I receive my new phone, if I restore that one from my jailbroken backup, will it then be jailbroken as well?
Thanks
Mick

If you re-jailbreak, change your carrier logo back to normal, then back up again you'll retain all of your information. JIC you're still looking for a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.