Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomovich

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Hello

This morning I erased my Mac and reset it to factory settings with this Apple guide. I was at work when I did this and connected on the work wifi.

After resetting I logged in with my iCloud account, set all the settings as I wanted, configured Mail and then all iCloud Drive files and pictures in the Photos app where automatically downloaded.

I came home, opened the Mac and I saw that I was connected with my home wifi. I didn't do anything. Is it possible that even after factory restoring and resetting it still remembers my home wifi? Or is it because I'm connected on my iPhone and it sends it to the Mac?

Thanks!

fiftofar

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
Australia
I’d guess keychain wifi networks would still sync even when you use a different password manager? Unless it’s turned off in iCloud, even then there is a chance the networks were already saved in keychain previously and auto sync.

I only have experience with Intel, don’t know about apple silicon, however, wifi networks can also be stored in NVRAM and don’t seem to be cleared by an erase alone in my experience, unless I cleared NVRAM in terminal or button combo.

Apple Silicon still has NVRAM so it’s probably the same, I think it can only be cleared by terminal “nvram -c”
Pretty sure you can check NVRAM contents in the log section of system report, or “nvram -p” in terminal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacCheetah3

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
If you logged into iCloud it surely carried over stuff for your convenience.

I bought a new laptop, did enter my local wifi password manually for the initial setup and then had it import the old laptop. Then went to a customer's place and the new laptop automatically got into their wifi although I had only been there with the old.

Reactions: KaliYoni

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
Your wifi credentials and background keys are stored in Keychain even if you are not using it for saving website passwords, so when you logged into your iCloud account it sync'd your iCloud Keychain, which includes known WiFi credentials.

Reactions: KaliYoni

Tomovich

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
What I meant with:

I do not use the password app in macOS.

is in system settings > passwords. Not the keychain.

I did not know that things in the keychain are also kept in iCloud.
When I open the keychain.app then I see a few categories on the left side: login, iCloud, system and system root. I suppose that what's in the iCloud category is what's been transferred to new installs?

How long is it since keychain stuff is being stored in iCloud?
Are wifi passwords that are on my phone also stored in iCloud? Or is it only Mac to Mac?

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
What I meant with:

I do not use the password app in macOS.

is in system settings > passwords. Not the keychain.

I did not know that things in the keychain are also kept in iCloud.
When I open the keychain.app then I see a few categories on the left side: login, iCloud, system and system root. I suppose that what's in the iCloud category is what's been transferred to new installs?

How long is it since keychain stuff is being stored in iCloud?
Are wifi passwords that are on my phone also stored in iCloud? Or is it only Mac to Mac?
2013 - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/109016

Tomovich

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
On my Mac the Passwords & Keychain is on (automatically). On my iPhone and iPad it is not, never has been. Then how can it be stored in iCloud?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.