Restored old iPhone before unpairing watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AtheistP3ace, Sep 25, 2015.

1. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

So basically I didn't unpair my watch. I backed up my phone. Restored it to my new 6S. Then restored old iPhone to ship to gazelle. So now I think only thing i can do is reset apple watch. Does this mean I lose all my data from exercising and awards I have earned? Argh!!

2. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

If you have never unpaired your Watch in the past, the data is lost. If you have unpaired it and still have an iPhone backup of that you can get whatever data that is on it but you will need to load that backup on your new phone and repaire it with your Watch.

3. CobraPA macrumors 6502

The phone backup has a watch backup. If it was encrypted it'll have workout data too.

I just restored my phone without unpairing the watch yesterday. Oddly, the watch reset itself after about 30 minutes and went in to pairing mode all by itself.

4. AtheistP3ace thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I have never unpaired my watch before. Grrrr. This sucks. Well thanks for replies. Reseting now. I did do an encrypted backup of phone before restoring to new iPhone but never unpaired watch before.

5. CobraPA macrumors 6502

I don't know why people think you have to unpair. The watch backup is stored with normal iPhone backups.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204518

If you unpair, the backup will be the last data on watch. Otherwise the backup is of the watch from whenever you backed up the iPhone.

6. AtheistP3ace thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Yes CobraPA. You are correct. Good news. I reset watch and repaired with new phone and it did indeed ask me as soon as it was paired if I wanted to restore from a backup of watch taken 30 minutes prior. So all is well in the world. Thank you for responses everyone. =] Watch is restoring backup now. Once I got beyond my initial freak out it was all really painless.

7. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's precisely why unpairing is recommended, as that forces the iPhone to do a last second backup of the Watch (as opposed to however long has passed since the automatic backup last occurred). Also, unless you do an erase all contents and settings from within the Watch, it'll still want to connect to the old iPhone hence you have to kick it off somehow. Unpairing erases the Watch so you can pair it to the new iPhone.

9. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Incorrect... the phone regularly backs up the watch. So, your restore will be there, but it may not be your most recent.

I did this once by accident, and I only lost a few hours of watch data.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, the automatic backup of the Watch is stored in the iPhone backup and you can do an erase all content and settings from within the Watch then restore it from the last backup.

Follow https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204567 Basically, you connect the AW to the charging cable, press and hold the side button until you see the Power off slider, then force touch it to bring up Erase all content and settings.

11. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

Good to know, from what I read it sounded like the iPhone didn't capture the backup from the Watch until it was unpaired. I'm waiting for my 6s delivery right now so I already unpaired the Watch made a backup and waiting to load the iPhone 6 backup onto the new iPhone 6s. I just wish I could do a clean install and pull just the data and not the full backup.

12. KPOM macrumors G5