Restored the wrong back up, afraid I've lost all my vacation photos...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MK25toLife, Jan 17, 2015.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

I just made a huge mistake. I restored from a Dec. 8th back up, I thought the back up said Jan. 8th. Anyways, I had dozens of photos and videos from a vacation I took in December and don't believe I did a back up (or else there would have been a later back up to restore from).

I do not use iCloud either. Is there any hope at all?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

3. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

Nope

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

SOL then, I am afraid. If you have no backups done you basically wiped it.

I recommend photostream at the very least (doesn't count against your storage). I also use flickr which auto backs up all photos (no video though) up to 1TB total, free.

5. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

6. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

SOL I'm afraid dude's right. Next time set your phone to auto backup over wifi while it's charging. Easiest way to backup and safest imo. Worst you can lose then is just a days worth of pics.

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

While I feel bad for you, it should be second nature to back up manually before you restore. Anyway, I hope you retrieve them somehow.

8. predation macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear op. I feel ya man. I've copied over some pictures I've had because the number scheme sucks in ios. I wish theyd do date/hr/min/sec format.

But going back to backing photos/videos.

Might want to think about nas setups and doing geofence auto backups fro your phone to the nas box.

I have a synology box swtup at home and when I walk in the house, I can have the pictures and stuff auto back up. I use the app photosync.

9. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback, I knew after the restore it was all gone. Only glimmer of hope is that I sent some of the best pics/videos to friends via text and they were able to send them back. But that's like 10% of everything.

Also, I usually do backup often. Only thing is, that my computer is out of space so it would say that it could not back everything b/c of storage issues and it's my fault that I never cleared any space for a more recent backup.

10. nathan.kindle macrumors member

Why not use iCloud for backups? Just curious. Did you have any apps like google plus or drop box? These apps have auto backup features.

11. rayzermack macrumors newbie

12. tiartrop macrumors regular

Once I accidentally deleted some photos and attempted to recover it using those data recovery softwares for iphones, instead I found a lot of photos that should've been deleted sometime ago. Not sure what's with that, it seems that some files always remain there, so you might want to give those softwares a go. I didn't end up finding mine though, the photo database was too big and I couldn't be bothered going through thousands of randomly recovered photos.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You should definitely start using the cloud then.

If you don't trust iCloud for whatever reason, then I would suggest getting a dropbox account. You can use the dropbox app, or upload the photos automatically to cloud storage, so that you have them backed up in case something like this happens again. They start you off with 2GB for free, and give you more as you upload photos from your smartphone, so the cost to start off is zero, basically.

14. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

on a side not when you have Photo Stream enabled how come you no longer see a Photo Stream group under photos on the phone, I only have

All Photos
    Panoramas
    Videos Bursts
    Recent;y Deleted
    My Photo Albums below Recently Deleted

I used to see Photo Stream below All Photos, but every since I did a backup from iPhone 5 last month, then restore to iPhone 5S that Photo Stream Group is gone on my 5S?

I have Photo Stream Enabled though