Restored to ios7, save to give iPad to someone else?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by RealSkyDiver, Oct 20, 2013.

1. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

I just sold my iPad3 which currently still has iOs5 on it, and iOs7 after restoring it to factory setting. Can I safely give it to the new owner without having it asking for my AppleID if , for example, it has to be restored in the future?

2. Silverrune macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure. But probably wrong. It will ask for the Apple ID used it was restored. For example if you restore it, it will ask for yours. If they use their apple ID then restore it, it will ask for theirs.

3. RealSkyDiver thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure I understand, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't ask for my AppleID when set to factory setting. The point of that is that everything has been wiped so there should be no AppleID attached to it.

4. Silverrune macrumors regular

Except Apple would keep a log of the serial number attached to the ID, what I am saying is, when they use their Apple ID, it should overwrite that log. So when they restore it, it will ask for their ID and not yours.

5. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Why don't you just restore it first?

Take it from someone who sold his iPad 2 and iPad 3 if you've restored your iDevice to the point where it has to be set up all over again. It's safe to sell it.

When the guys who bought my iPads came over, I had them both set up the iPads with their user id's making sure nothing connected to me remains on the device.

Not sure what the poster above me is talking about.

6. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

You need to go to Settings>iCloud and turn off Find my iPad BEFORE you restore it. After that, it won't be tied to your Apple ID and the new owner shouldn't have to put in a password to set it up.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Or you can just erase all content and settings, which you should do anyway so one step is better than two! :)

8. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Not if he has Find my iPad turned on. In iOS 7, Apple introduced Activation Lock. With this feature, if you have Find my iPad enabled and someone erases your iPad or restores it in iTunes, the iPad will be unuseable without your iTunes password. This was done as a deterrent to theft. If he wants to sell his iPad, he should disable Find my iPad BEFORE restoring it (or hitting Erase all Content and Settings on the iPad). Orherwise, the person he sells it to will be unable to use it. It's still a 2 step process either way.

9. ~Ks383~, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Restored to ios7, save to give iPad to someone else?

When you hit Erase All Content and Settings on your iPad it will prompt you for your password to sign out of Find my iPad. It is not necessary to sign out before you use Erase All Content and Settings.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Apple disagrees. It is not necessary to turn off Find My iThing before erasing all contents and settings.

From the link:
    What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
    1.Back up your device.
    2.Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings.
    - This will completely erase your device and turn off iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, Game Center, and other services.
    - If you are using iOS 7 and have Find My iPhone turned on, your Apple ID and password will be required. After you provide your password, the device will be erased and removed from your account so that the next owner can activate it.