Restoring 10.7 Lion - no idea what to do next

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BaconSaver, Jun 14, 2013.

1. BaconSaver macrumors newbie

Hello

I'm currently restoring my factory settings. I erased everything then went to Reinstall OS X 10.7 Lion. I entered my apple id and it told me that there had been no purchase of Lion linked to that account, I remembered that I have got it off PirateBay (stupidly i know). So I don't really know what to do now. My Mac is a few years old and came with 10.6, and I still have the disc for it, but somehow my disc drive has now broken.

Is there no way I can install 10.7 Lion from scratch and this stage rather than trying to reinstall it?

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your options are either call Apple and buy a replacement 10.6 disk, or use someone else's Mac to buy Lion.

You won't see Lion in the App Store any more, but if you cal 1800MYAPPLE Apple will sell you a code for $20 that can be used to get Lion from the App Store.

3. BaconSaver thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. So I could go on my mates macbook pro, login to the app store on my apple id, and get it, then it would come up when i tried to reinstall it on mine?

Sorry, what's 1800MYAPPLE? I forgot to mention im from England. Can I call whenever?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, exactly.

That is Apple sales US phone number. Below is the info for UK. Sorry, did not realize you were in the UK. :)

[​IMG]

5. BaconSaver thread starter macrumors newbie

I just rang up that number and it said the offices were closed even though it's only 20 past 8. Do I need to get the code by ringing up or is there another way? Cheers

6. BaconSaver thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it have to be Lion or could I download Mountain Lion instead?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The only way to get Lion is by calling and getting that code.

You can go straight to Mt. Lion as long as your machine supports it. Look under step one on this page to make sure your machine is on the list.

8. BaconSaver thread starter macrumors newbie

I got Mountain Lion on my mates Mac, then went back to "reinstall OS X Lion" and it still said "No version of OS X Lion has been purchased with this Apple ID" or something. I'm assuming I have to get Lion first before I can get Mountain Lion then? Or is there anyway I can just skip it even though I'm currently at this reinstoring stage?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can go straight to Lion, but as I think on this, your problem is you have a Lion recovery partition on there, so it wants to install Lion.

Can you get on your friends machine and DL Mt. Lion? Once you get it downloaded, quit the installer then use this free utility with a 8GB USB key to make a full installer. Then option key boot to the USB key and install ML.

An alternative would be to use a 1GB USB key with this Apple utility to make a recovery USB key. Then you could boot to this key and use it to DL Mt. Lion. Assuming here your friend is on Mt. Lion, since it would use his recovery partition to make this key.

10. Bravo2zero macrumors newbie

download desired OSX

mount the DMG

Insert a 8GB USB stick

go to DISK tools

Restore the OSX DMG to USB

Boot from USB