Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charliehustle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
So I have a 3GS jailbroken with 3.1.2

I clicked on restore, and it gave me the choice of "restoring and updating"

when I clicked it, it looked like it was ready to update before restoring..

what should I do?

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
So I have a 3GS jailbroken with 3.1.2

I clicked on restore, and it gave me the choice of "restoring and updating"

when I clicked it, it looked like it was ready to update before restoring..

what should I do?

What were you trying to do? itunes will only restore to the current available firmware which 3.1.2 no longer is..

charliehustle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
What were you trying to do? itunes will only restore to the current available firmware which 3.1.2 no longer is..

I'm sending the phone to apple and they're sending me a refurbished one, so I'm trying to restore so they don't know I jailbroke. I don't care if I end up with iOS4.

I remember hearing that updating your jailbroken phone will brick it and was wondering if the "update and restore" will brick my phone.

I'm not sure what process happens first..does it update (which could brick my phone?) or does it restore first..

I'm not even sure if updating a jailbroken phone will brick it, but for some reason I remember hearing that somewhere..

thanks..

charliehustle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
So I did some research and I found out that if I just update to the newest version ios4, my jailbreak will be all gone..

Just to make sure, can anyone confirm this before I go for it?

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Yes, just click restore and let it update. Short of hardware failure you can't brick the phone.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I'm sending the phone to apple and they're sending me a refurbished one, so I'm trying to restore so they don't know I jailbroke. I don't care if I end up with iOS4.

I remember hearing that updating your jailbroken phone will brick it and was wondering if the "update and restore" will brick my phone.

I'm not sure what process happens first..does it update (which could brick my phone?) or does it restore first..

I'm not even sure if updating a jailbroken phone will brick it, but for some reason I remember hearing that somewhere..

thanks..

If that was the case, why would the update and restore buttons be in iTunes.

Millions of iPhone owners likely restore and/or update everyday.

Some common sense is in order here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.