Restoring a 3g from a Wifi backup

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gillybean, May 3, 2010.

1. gillybean macrumors 6502a

For those people who had Wifi models and then bought 3g models, did you have to do anything special to get the Wifi backup to load onto the 3g? Or was it just a simple "restore from backup" the first time you plug in the 3g?

My first attempt at "restoring" the 3g from the Wifi backup just now ended with some kind of error and it copied over my Safari bookmarks and my music but none of my Apps. :(

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I did not set up the 3G from a backup of the WiFi iPad, but instead worked with the 3G as a new iPad installation. Now both my iPads have the same things installed on them, and each is a unique device.

3. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I think you have to manually sync apps from iTunes, it's not on my default.

4. gillybean thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I manually sync the apps from iTunes, it seems like I'd lose the app data. For example I want to keep my Pinball high scores.

Is there some setting somewhere I can use to make a full backup from one iPad (including Apps & App data) to use for the other?

5. Shank2001 macrumors newbie

Go ahead and restore from a backup from your wifi version. It won't hurt anything and all your data will there.

6. gillybean thread starter macrumors 6502a

When you restore from backup does it automatically restore all your Apps too, or did you have to pick which ones to sync onto the iPad after the restore?

7. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

It automatically syncs everything from your let backup. Apple software dude.

8. gillybean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay it worked on the second try. All my application data from the Wifi iPad is now on the 3g iPad. :)