Restoring a cloned bootcamp partition onto a larger windows partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Apple%, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Apple% macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have recently installed a new hard drive, and wanted to keep my bootcamp partition. So I cloned the BC partition using WINCLONE, and that all went well.

I now want to restore the clone BC partition to the new hard drive, however now that I have a much bigger HDD (500gb) I have more space to dedicate to the Windows, I would like to expand this partition.

From what I've read when one uses WINCLONE to restore a cloned BC it automatically creates a partition on your HDD the same size as before and does not allow you to choose the size of this partition.

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a new partition and then just have winclone restore the cloned BC to that new partition??? ! :confused:

Any help would be most appreciated.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I don't know where you read that, but Winclone will generally expand the partition to fill the space it is given upon restore. Only shrinking the partition may require additional steps. (se the MR guide on resizing your partition http://guides.macrumors.com/Extend_or_Resize_Boot_Camp_Partition)

B

3. Station4 macrumors newbie

It's true

This is what just happened to me. I followed the instructions for increasing the BC partition as they are stated everywhere I look. The only thing I did that may be causing it is that I didn't convert FAT32 to NTFS. The first tutorial I read didn't mention this step.

Anyone know what's going wrong?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is the problem. It will resize NTFS, but will not resize FAT32.

You should be able to use a gparted live CD to resize your FAT32 partition after Winclone has restored it. http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

B