Restoring a disk image to a hard drive (disk utility issues)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Killyp, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Hey

Throughout the course of today, I was working on re-installing OS X. There were so many software updates, and little apps that I had installed, relied on and forgotten about that I decided once I'd booted into a fresh install of OS X that I wanted to go back.

That's fine, I have a Disk Image of my MacBook Pro's hard drive which I made with disk utility just before beginning the fresh OS X install.

However, when I boot from the OS X disk and open Disk Utility, I can select the disk image for restoring, but I CANNOT select a destination drive to restore onto. It just says 'drag a disk here to restore onto', but where do I drag the disk from? I can't pick up any of the drives on the left, it just highlights them.

Anybody got any ideas? Or know how I could restore the disk image onto my hard drive by another means? I'll have a play with Live CDs of Linux Distros to see if I can get them to do what I want, but in the meantime, any suggestions would be INCREDIBLY helpful! I'm without a Mac!! :eek:

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

3. lesbarn macrumors member

Similar Issue

I finally was able to create a custom restore DVD by using the installer DVD image and combining with a custom image that I created. The DVD boots fine and disk utility launches, but I cannot select a drive for restoring. I even wiped then entire drive. I read on various sites that said you cannot boot from the install DVD and restore an image, but others say you can. I even played around with asr restore in terminal, but it was not able to find the image I created. Any suggestions? I would really like to be able to restore this way. I have 48 MacBooks and doing regular installs takes forever.