Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ved

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Is it doable? I have an old powerbook (1.67 Ghz) that i want to restore to factory settings, but my install dvd is broken (literally), I got a new macbook pro, it has a leopard update and the installation disks, is there anything I can do? or do i have to buy a tiger or a full leopard?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
you may be able to find the DVDs from you model on ebay, otherwise you will need a retail copy of Leopard. I'm not sure what the last version of Tiger to come on the retail disks was, but if that is later than the version that came with your computer that may work as well.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
the leopard that you got with your macbook pro is either on the install discs or on an update disc and unfortunately cant install this on your powerbook :(. this is because the OS on these discs is intel specific and it wont work on your ppc powerbook.

looks like youll have to buy the install discs from ebay for the model of your powerbook so you can get ilife and other things not included with mac os x, or buy a retail tiger or leopard disc and sacrifice not having ilife.

rhyndu

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2007
A Planet Orbiting Sol!
looks like youll have to buy the install discs from ebay for the model of your powerbook so you can get ilife and other things not included with mac os x, or buy a retail tiger or leopard disc and sacrifice not having ilife.

Exactly. Search EBay if you want to restore to factory defaults... even a new Leopard disk won't do that for you.

Sorry!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.