Restoring a PowerMac MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Jan 22, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015

MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Several months ago I retired my PowerMac due to many contributing factors. One of the problems is the Graphics card. The GeForce 4 MX card i got for it has a problem. It now no longer works with DVI but DOES work with VGA via DVI to VGA adaptor.

here is what i want to make a list of what i need to get for this computer:

NEW Video card. I would like to know of the CHEAPEST card i can get that supports Core Image. Preferbably one that has atleast 128MB Video RAM.
    Bigger HDD. I have a SATA HDD i can use in this computer. I want to know of a cheap BOOTABLE SATA card i can get for this system.

I will get a Wireless card for it so i can get that easy.

I want to max out the RAM any eBay has them cheap.

EDIT: Currently on eBay there is a GeForce FX 6200. This is a good card on Windows. But downfall is its PCI based.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

A Radeon 9600xt for a g5 is probably your cheapest/most available and convenient option to get Core Image and 128mb of VRAM. You will need to tape pins 3 and 11, but otherwise is plug and play unless you want to power and ADC display. That modification is not too bad either.

These cards are regularly ~$30 on EBay. I have one in my Quicksilver and have been extremely happy with it.

3. Greffe macrumors newbie

So you're bringing the G4 back out of retirement, as I understand it. This guy has a lot of info about graphics card options for PowerPC Macs--a lot of them require flashing: https://discussions.apple.com/people/japamac

4. harrymatic macrumors 6502

+1 for the Radeon 9600XT. Modifying them is very easy and they provide a very nice graphical upgrade for little money.

As for the SATA card, you can flash certain PC cards with Mac comparable firmware. See my guide at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1690231

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I Tried to flash a Radeon 9550 to a MAC 9600 and the flash failed and bricked the card. So I won't be trying that again

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It failed because those two cards are not compatible. Don't use the GeForce 6200 in your MDD. Those cards don't work very well or at all in MDDs.

7. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I assumed it was compatible because when i used the card in a Hackintosh the system detected it as a 9600

EDIT: Being that the 6200 is PCI based its said to work in all G3 G4 and G5 PowerMacs, And according to the images, supports Core Image. I dont expect a high end card. I DO have another 9550 (bought 2) what IS the closest MAC compatible card? Also is it possible to un-brick the card?

8. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I agree fully about the 9600 XT. Quite a nice card at an affordable price.