Restoring a windows 10 dmg from previous macbook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aking83, May 18, 2016.

1. aking83 macrumors member

aking83

HI,

I have my iMac up and running, however I have a previous windows 10 bootcamp install that I backed up in disk utility as a dmg file before erasing my macbook.

Has anyone restored a windows 10 dmg to get working again on fresh install system with mac os?

I though i'd ask before I try to attempt anything.

Thank you,

Anthony

2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I have not heard of anyone doing what you have done, but Winclone is a very good app which will make a restorable image. It runs from the Mac side. If moving from one mac to another you need to run sysprep before making the image.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I'm not sure that's a valid backup/restore method. I will be surprised if it works, but I admit I know very little about it.

I know Disk Utility can image an entire volume, but is it going to set up the partitions correctly in order to restore it? I doubt it.

Another problem is that in almost all cases, an installed version of Windows cannot simply be moved from one computer (your MacBook) to another (your iMac). So even if you get it to restore somehow, it's not going to boot up and work correctly. As Mike Boreham mentioned, you needed to run sysprep before making the image.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think that's going to work. OS X by default can only read a NTFS file system, it cannot write to it. You will need the ability to have DU read and write to NTFS.

I think a better and more elegant solution is to use WinClone as @Mike Boreham pointed out. That's an app that is designed for such needs. There's a specific workflow for you to follow when transitioning the backup from one computer to another, so I'd recommend you review what the makers of Winclone have posted on that topic to avoid any headaches and frustrations.