Restoring accidentally deleted system folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by divergirl, Oct 12, 2013.

1. divergirl macrumors regular

I was attempting to enable NTFS write support on my friend's MBP via a third-party driver but it wasn't working, so I tried to uninstall the third-party driver by deleting it via terminal but I think I also accidentally deleted a system folder. Nothing seems to be malfunctioning right now, but is there any way to get the folder back? My friends doesn't do Time Machine backups at this time so that's not an option. :eek: I'm so embarrassed.

I did sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext
    I wanted to remove ntfs-free.kext but didn't realize I was deleting the wrong one.

So now I've deleted the system folder ntfs.kext... and I don't know how to get it back! I solemnly swear never to go recklessly poking around Terminal on someone else's computer from now on, but for the time being, is there any way I can restore this file on her computer without her having to reinstall her whole OS? She has the newest Mountain Lion update on her computer right now.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Your only other option is to find another copy of the same version of OS X and transfer the file.

The reckless bit was not having a backup.

3. Bear macrumors G3

I checked and my system has ntfs.kext, so it is part of OS X.

The easiest way to recover missing system files when you don't have a proper backup is to reinstall OS X on the system. This guarantees you have the right versions of the files with the ownership and permissions set correctly.

I do suggest you make a full backup before doing so in case something goes wrong and then your friend should keep using Time Machine as anything can happen, including a disk failure.

4. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Which version of OS X is it? I can upload the kext.

5. divergirl thread starter macrumors regular

I just saw her today to check her version. She's running 10.8.4 Build 12E55.

6. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

I'm on 10.8.5 right now and I don't have a 10.8.4 install... I'm pretty sure that kext is in the 10.8.4 combo update, the easiest thing to do would be reinstall that update (and update to 10.8.5 while you're at it). Otherwise just update to 10.8.5 and if you still don't see the kext in there I will upload mine for you and you can use kext utility to install it. Kext utility is a hackintosh app but it works just fine on a real Mac for things like this.