Restoring address book from Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by corryzahn, Jul 11, 2009.

1. corryzahn macrumors newbie

I've searched the forums but still can't find the answer I'm looking for.

This morning, I tried something on my iPhone called MyPhone+ which syncs my contacts on my phone with my Facebook account. This was all well and good, until I realized that it overwrote all the address information... which then went to mobileme, and then overwrote everything on my mac.

SO, I looked in Time Machine, and my address book is perfect as of 6:00 am this morning. I selected that point in time, and clicked the RESTORE button, but nothing changes.

Is it not possible to restore the data in address book to a point in time from the Time Machine backups?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It should... but I know for Mail, even though you bring the file(s) over from TM, you have to manually add them back in the way you want

You may need to poke around and find the file and manually add it
    I have never done it with Address Book

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

What you want to do:

Open Address Book

Go into Time Machine

Go back to the point your address book is fine

Click "Restore All" (not "Restore", in this case that is for restoring a single, selected contact card)

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Sorry to resurrect an old topic here guys, but does anyone know how to restore address book under Snow Leopard? I did a clean erase and install, and forgot to make an archive of my address book (and iCal for that matter :mad:)

I cannot just do the open address book and open Time Machine option, as I think they are different versions or something. I have tried copying over the files under Users/User/Application Support/Address Book/, but that is not working either. Any ideas? Thanks!

[EDIT] OK so I found out how to bring my address book back from the dead. Copy over the contents of the "Metadata" folder from backup, and copy over the AddressBook.data file. Make sure you have full permissions for the .data file otherwise Address book will hang indefinitely. Hope this helps some folks like myself who were not smart enough to archive important things like this before wiping Leopard away ;)