Restoring an 8GB iPhone from a 16GB iPhone backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dharasick, Jun 29, 2009.

1. dharasick macrumors newbie

So I have a 16GB iPhone, and I have beaten the heck out of it. It's all cracked, even some pixel damage from it. I want to take it in to an Apple Store, and replace it. I have been in for it before, and I know they did want $200 to replace it. Since the new iPhones came out, I believe the only 3G iPhones they sell are the 8GB versions. (Am I wrong?) I'm fine with having that, but I would want to restore my replacement with the backup from my old phone. But my old one, being 16GB would be more than the 8GB could hold. How would that work? I have 12 gigs of music I don't need, I don't use my phone to listen to music. So I can make everything fit on the potential replacement, but how would I go about restoring it?

Is the easiest way to just delete enough stuff so that the backup is less than 8GB (delete the music...) or can I do something like pick and choose what I want to restore?

Thanks in advance!

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Restore from Back-up.

That restores your settings and stuff, you still have to sync your music/pictures/etc.

3. Kyeris macrumors 6502

They do have 16GB refurbs in stock..... and I'm pretty sure if you get a replacement (and pay for it) you still get a refurb.