Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaBing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
Hi everyone.

I recently had a repair done to my iphone. Afterword, I was told that I had to restore the os. I downloaded and installed the latest version (3.1.3) through itunes.

When it attempted to activate the phone I got an error message saying the phone either had no sim or the sim was locked and instructing me to disconnect the phone and unlock the sim.

My sim does have a pin, but the phone itself won't allow me to unlock it. It says 'restore needed' and directs me to itunes.

It seems like a catch 22 - can't activate without unlocking the pin, can't unlock the pin without activating. As it is, I can't use the phone at all.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? Or some advice?

Thanks

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
You updated the phone, you didn't restore the phone.

Read and then actually do what the iPhone is telling you to do: Restore the phone.

MaBing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
You updated the phone, you didn't restore the phone.

Read and then actually do what the iPhone is telling you to do: Restore the phone.

I did restore. Restoring was the only option when I connected the iphone after the repair.

I put the phone in DFU mode and restored again when I initially got the message. And I just tried again. No luck.

jameswallace

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
i have the same problem (After my iphone crashedf and i reset it)

i tried another sim, with no pin, didnt work

just says the same

sometimes my ipphone doesnt even come up in itunes!!
(not that me posting this helps you but i am having the same prob lol)

MaBing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
(not that me posting this helps you but i am having the same prob lol)

Yeah I posted the question here because I'd seen it asked in a few other places but never resolved. Seems like this thread won't do much to change that though. I guess it's just very bad luck.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Sounds like this is the error 23 which means the radios in the iPhone have failed. No WiFi, no 3G, no edge, no bluetooth. The phone is basically an iPod Touch now and needs to be repaired.

This is why the sim says it is locked and no amount of restoring can fix it.

I had the same thing happen to my 3GS last August and Apple replaced it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.