Restoring an ultrasn0w unlocked iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ImperialX, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Hey guys, I recently bought an iPhone 4 from this guy online, and it was an AT&T iPhone that has been jailbroken and unlocked with ultrasn0w on 4.0.1.

This iPhone is currently activated and completely functional. However, this iPhone is synced to his iTunes library, and I will have to restore it in order for it to work with mine.

Here is the problem. I'm living in New Zealand, and this AT&T iPhone is only working right now because of the ultrasn0w unlock. If I restored it to 4.0.1, to my knowledge, the iPhone will become deactivated. If so, how can I activate it again?

The iPhone 4 currently has no jailbreak method that works like PwnageTool (which can hacktivate it). I can only jailbreak it with JailbreakMe if it's been activated. The iPhone 4 can't function here in NZ unless it is jailbroken and unlocked.

Can someone tell me what I should do in this situation? Is there any way to activate the iPhone if I restore it? I currently have a Vodafone NZ MicroSIM.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You don't need to restore to sync it with your library.
    It will tell u it's synced with another library and if u sync it will erase everything.
    It will not erase the firmware, jb or unlock.
    Just the media transferred thru iTunes like music, ringtones, photos etc...

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Why can't you just sync the phone as new device. Sure, it will remove original owners stuff, info, apps and so on, but it won't remove JB and unlock. Afterward, just put whatever you want back onto the phone.

Definitley, do not restore. You will loose phone activation, JB and unlock.

4. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Thanks for the responses guys, I was too afraid to press anything because it might get rid of the jb. It's a relief to hear I won't lose anything. Interestingly, how did the guy who sold it to me in the first place activate his? =/

It won't force me to update to 4.1 after I erase it and sync with my library, right?

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

The guy that sold you phone put in his sim card into the phone and activate it through ITunes.

You don't manually erase anything. Just sync phone with iTunes. It will do it for you.

ITunes may say there's an update for the phone. Just check "Don't remind me," and then, click cancel.

6. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Thank you very much, you cleared up all my issues. Cheers. :)