Restoring Apps and Data from Time Machine to new iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dirtyharry50, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Apple is replacing a defective 2011 iMac with a new model for me this coming week. I've been using Time Machine all along to keep my apps and data backed up. I also periodically make redundant backups of selected data to another separate external hard disk. Just before sending back this one, I plan to do that again, run a final Time Machine backup and then off it goes.

I have never needed to do a full restore from Time Machine and I am not quite sure what to expect here. I am also not sure I really want to do that versus just selectively restoring certain things, most especially my data.

I was thinking it might be nice to start over with a fresh clean install of OS X and only add to it what I am actually using regularly.

Does Time Machine restore preference files, etc. for every app or does it just restore the app itself and it creates its files as it needs them, etc.?

You can probably tell I am a little confused about how this works and what would be the best option for setting up a new system that does not have unnecessary junk from the old system brought over to it. That's what I'd like to avoid.

2. Dirtyharry50 thread starter macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will restore everything including app prefs as you discovered. The issue you will have though is some apps, notably MS Office and Adobe apps, will see they are on a new machine and require reentry of registration information.