Restoring audio file from audio recorder?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by dalittlegirl, Jan 18, 2014.

1. dalittlegirl macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was using an audio recorder application by "Ben Shanfelder" on my macbook pro, and the computer crashed while it was recording a long audio file for about 8 hours. When I reopened it said " Recover file: The last file was not closed properly and may be corrupt. Try to recover the file?". So I tried to recover it but every time I try it the application crashes after a few minutes because I think it's overloading my ram and processor. I have the files on my desktop, one if in a .m4a format and the other in .recovery format. Usually when you stop a recording you can stop it and rename and and the file will end up being just one .m4a file that you can listen to, but because it was not closed properly now those are the only files I'm left with. I noticed that the .m4a file has over 100MB of information so I really think that what I recorded is on it but I can't find a way to open it and have it play properly, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows how I can make it work out or if there's anything I can do, and whether if there is any possible ways of recovering through that audio recorder application as I still have not ignored the message that is offering to restore the file.

Much appreciated.!!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I know this post doesn't help you with the problem at hand, but...

In the future, if you're going to be recording long passages of audio, I suggest you set your recording app (assuming it has such a feature) to periodically "split" the files.

In my case, when recording streaming audio, I set my recorder to create a new file every 40 minutes.

The idea is to keep the files "manageable". Also, if there's a crash, you'll only lose the "current" file. The others will have been saved to disk...