Restoring Back up issue

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BruceF, Mar 16, 2011.

1. BruceF macrumors newbie

Hi all, quick question I hope

I upgraded my iPad to 4.3 and left for an extended trip (no laptop, just iPad). Once on trip, released I was having a major issue with the battery (very fast drain). After visiting a store, they told me I needed to reload the iOS (which they couldn't do for me).

I had an opportunity to use a colleague's iTunes and did a backup and restored iPad to original settings. I wasn't too worried about my apps, I just needed a couple on the trip figuring I'll fix it when I get home.

My concern now is I'll be heading home soon and I want to restore my iPad to the way it was before I left town. My assumption was I plug it in and then restore from backup. But now I'm nervous that it won't be that easy... My iPad is "stripped" right now, just a couple core apps I redownloaded from app store.

When I plug it in at home, it is going to sync... Messing up my backup to restore from, right?

What is the right process for me to fully restore back to where I was before I left? I figure I can copy the backup to another location prior to plugging in... But is it smart enough to fully restore just like it was? I'm afraid it won't....

Thanks!

2. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

before you plug it in, tell iTunes NOT to automatically sync on connection. Then do your restore... Jobs a goodun. Of course remember to transfer your purchases if they aren;t on your iTunes library at home.

[​IMG]

3. tivoboy macrumors 68030

similar

I'm having a similar issue, cannot restore from a backup.

I THINK I had 4.2 on my ipad Gen 1, but now just got Gen 2.

I can see the previous backup of my Gen 1 ipad in the Itunes, preferences and devices, it shows tivoboy ipad backup 3/1/2011.

But, when I go to restore from backup on the NEW GEN 2 ipad, I only show iphone 4 backups to select from?

Any way to force the restore from backup?

4. BruceF thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, thanks Blue! I'll give it a shot this weekend!

Good luck tivoboy

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

itunes

seems on MUST update itunes to 10.2.1 in order to SEE backups made on the ipad gen 1. They should like put that as a sticker on the box!