iPhone Restoring back-up to the correct iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by stuartrozier, Jun 23, 2013.

1. stuartrozier macrumors regular

Hello,

this is going to be long winded.

I WAS an apple dev, my account expired.

Before I updated to ios 7, I owned an iphone 4. I backup my iphone 4 whilst it was in the latest ios 6. I found the root folder of the backup, and kept a copy of it on an external drive.

I then purchased an iphone 5, updated it to the latest ios 7 before my account expired.

My dev has now expired. I amabout to attempt[t to restore my iphone 5 to ios 6.

I have downloaded the latest ios 6 on apple website, and restored the old iphone 4 backup to the root folder.

Does this all make sense, is it doable before I attempt it ?

Many thanks,

Stuart

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, it is possible. Just disable Find my Phone on your iPhone, otherwise you cannot restore your phone.
    After that just use iTunes, hold the Alt key and click on the Restore button. Select the ipsw file you downloaded before, and that's it.

The backup has to be from the same version of iOS, otherwise it won't work. Have you taken the backup using iTunes or iCloud? iCloud only shows the last three backups. With iTunes you have more flexibility, but if the Backup is from iOS 7, then you won't be able to restore it on an iOS 6 device. What do you mean by copying the backup to the root folder?

3. stuartrozier thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your quick reply, appreciate that ...

I've restored the original back up of iPhone 4, ios6 to the backup folder of iTunes. It now shows in iTunes preferences.
    This original back up taken from iPhone 4 ios6 though, will it restore correctly onto the latest ios6 of iPhone 5 downloaded from apple website?

thank you again,

Stuart

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

If you use the same iOS version, then yes.