Restoring/Backup going from jailbroken back to locked???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MikeRiv87, Dec 3, 2008.

1. MikeRiv87 macrumors newbie

Lets face it after a while of messing around with cydia and downloading/deleting stuff, changing themes, and using apps apple could only dream of licensing your phone does get a little sluggish. Every couple months or so i find myself restoring my phone with locked firmware and start all over downloading and theming. Now in the past after I would restore i would choose the option of setting up as a new iphone and start reloading contacts, music, calenders, and resetting up my 8 or 9 alarms. I would does this because i though that if I restored my phone from a backup that was made on jail broken firmware it wouldn't be as "fresh" as if i started a new. Is this reasonable to assume or is it ok to restore my phone from a back up and have all my tones, preferences, contacts and such brought back in one step and not have some residual effects from the previous jailbreak?

2. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

Good question - I've been thinking this myself. I assumed that if some of my settings had got screwed up some how then surely restoring them only puts the problems back?

3. MikeRiv87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is exactly what i was thinking! I was wondering if maybe the backup only takes like basic settings such as vib on/off, alarms, ringers and such, but doesn't look at major system files which could be causing the slow downs/ issues that are making you want to restore in the first place...

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

iTunes only backs up and restores a list of .plst files and things like wifi networks. Crap from bad apps does not get backed up or restored (although there are a few exceptions).

So, technically, you could install every app on cydia, make a iTunes backup, and restore that backup on a new iPhone and it would still be really fast.

5. MikeRiv87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear... Say i hide a bunch of app icons with poof and then took a backup. If i restored using that backup would my icons still be hidden? I think i remember this happening a while back and it's where i got the whole idea that the backup was saving more than just basic settings...