Restoring backup to a different iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jugney, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Jugney macrumors member

Sorry if this is already answered - couldn't find it in a search.

I owned an iPad 1 until this spring, when I sold it for financial reasons. I'm about to get one again, however. It is also an iPad 1, 32gb, except this one will have 3G.

Normally, I wouldn't want to restore a backup to a different device, just to avoid any potential issues and start fresh But I lost some files I'd created on my first iPad. Since I have the backup iTunes took of it, can I safely restore that backup to the new iPad - keeping in mind the backup was for a WiFi model, not the 3g? Any cautions to be aware of? Would love to get my files back!

Thanks,
    Jugney

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

As long as the new iPad is running the same or greater version of iOS, then it will work with no problem.

3. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

4. Jugney thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm...the iPad was running the latest version of iOS at the time I lasted backed it up. So May of this year - would have been 4.3.3?

I ordered the new one refurbished earlier this week - not sure if it will come preloaded with iOS 5 or not. If it did, then what should I do?

(By the way, it was an unusually good price - $400 for a refurbished iPad 1, 32GB with 3G!)

Also, the iPad backup is actually sitting on my Time Machine drive, as I've changed computers since then. Is it correct to assume I can just move the backup folder from the drive to ~/Library/AppSupport/MobileSync/Backups/ on my hard drive?