Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jugney

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Sorry if this is already answered - couldn't find it in a search.

I owned an iPad 1 until this spring, when I sold it for financial reasons. I'm about to get one again, however. It is also an iPad 1, 32gb, except this one will have 3G.

Normally, I wouldn't want to restore a backup to a different device, just to avoid any potential issues and start fresh But I lost some files I'd created on my first iPad. Since I have the backup iTunes took of it, can I safely restore that backup to the new iPad - keeping in mind the backup was for a WiFi model, not the 3g? Any cautions to be aware of? Would love to get my files back!

Thanks,
Jugney

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As long as the new iPad is running the same or greater version of iOS, then it will work with no problem.

Jugney

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Hmmm...the iPad was running the latest version of iOS at the time I lasted backed it up. So May of this year - would have been 4.3.3?

I ordered the new one refurbished earlier this week - not sure if it will come preloaded with iOS 5 or not. If it did, then what should I do?

(By the way, it was an unusually good price - $400 for a refurbished iPad 1, 32GB with 3G!)

Also, the iPad backup is actually sitting on my Time Machine drive, as I've changed computers since then. Is it correct to assume I can just move the backup folder from the drive to ~/Library/AppSupport/MobileSync/Backups/ on my hard drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.