Restoring Contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Willie5566, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

Need help! I have been syncing my contacts through my work exchange account for years. I switched jobs and did not think about losing my contacts. Now everything is wiped out.

Is there anything I can do to restore them? It kind of sucks that the phone automatically wipes everything clean when it can no longer sync with exchange.

Something that may help me-My iPad still has my contacts intact. Is there a way I can download them and then sync them to my phone?

Thanks.

2. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so maybe I cannot sync my contacts.

Is there anyway I can print my contacts from my iPad so I will have a hard copy? Then I can manually input my contacts into my iPhone.

3. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Shouldn't you be able to sync your ipad contacts with your mac and then sync your phone with your mac?

For my phone at least, I have a contact list based on my exchange server and a separate contact list that is synced to my macbook.

4. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

I do not sync to my Mac. I sync to my PC. My contacts were on my work exchange server, which I no longer have access too. My contacts are gone from my iPhone but are still on my iPad.

So I need to be able transfer my contacts to my PC from my iPad.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

If you still have the contacts on your iPad, then you *might* be able to get them onto your PC.

Connect your iPad to your PC, then open iTunes. Click on the iPad on the left panel. Then under the "info" tab (I think) you have to scroll down to the section for syncing contacts, etc. to some applications like Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail, etc.
    Look there to see if you can sync them back to one of those applications. It might be possible that once you do that, your contacts will be over to one of them that you've selected.

6. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

So far that is not working. It will let you import contacts from places like gmail but not export contacts from iPad to PC.

7. Stein357 macrumors 6502

If you have a Mac, import the iPad contacts to your address book and then put them on your iPhone.

8. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Can you not set it to sync contacts with outlook/outlook express in the info tab on iTunes? This should in effect export your contacts to pc. I used to do this with my iPhone before I signed up to MobileMe, can't imagine it being different for iPad

9. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Can I do this even if my PC is my primary sync device? I know you are not able to sync to more than one computer. Obviously, my fear is that I will lose my music library in the transfer.

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

A bit of a process, but you can go through your contacts on your iPad and select "Share". Email them to yourself and then you can import them, either into Outlook or (I assume) right into your iPhone.

When you attempt to sync, if two contacts don't match, your computer should ask you which card you wish to use... that's how it works on Mac, anyway...