Restoring Disk Image and partitioning!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shusker, Nov 8, 2009.

1. shusker macrumors newbie

I recently decided to partition my harddrive on my macbook in order to install Windows 7, but upon doing so I was greeted with a message informing me that some files couldn't be moved and that I would have to reformat my HD.

I created a backup disk image using disk utility and proceeded to erase and reinstall my OS. My OS is now reinstalled but I don't know how to go about using my backup to add all my old preferences, files, and applications. I've tried using restore through the disk utility but it isn't allowing me to do so. All I want are my old files and the ability to partition my drive! Please help

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Disk Utility shouldn't allow you to do so, since you would be writing over the OS you are booted to. Here is what you want to do.

1. Mount the backup image you created by Double-Clicking it.
    2. You have two options for moving your files.

Option 1:
    1. Manually drag the files you want from the Disk Image to their respective location on your new installation

Option 2:
    1. Open /Appications/UtilitiesMigration Assistant.app from your new installation.
    2. When it opens, click continue, it will ask you to authenticate.
    3. The next prompt will ask where the information is, choose the middle option: From a Time Machine Backup or other disk
    4. It will scan for disks, pick your mounted backup image.
    5. It will then ask you what you want to restore: Users, Applications, etc.
    6. Note, If you are migrating your user account and you have created a user account with the same short name on your new installation, you will need to get rid of that account. What I typically do is create an initial account called migrate and remove it after migration.

That is pretty much it. Migration is obviously easier, but Option 1 gives you more control.