Restoring .dmg to external

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGretchen, Feb 25, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

So, I know I can restore a .dmg of Leopard that I made from my original 10.5.4 DVD to an external drive, and then install from it via firewire, but how would I go about restoring it to the external drive in such a way that it will boot on PPC & Intel from the disk.

IIRC, PPC systems won't see a bootable disk formatted with GUID and Intel machines won't see a bootable disk formatted w/ Apple Partition Scheme.

Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just use Disk Utility. It's an exact copy of a disk that can boot to either, so the copy should be able to boot to either as well.

3. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

I did not think that a PPC, like a powerbook, can boot from a disk that is partitioned w/ GUID.

I understand, ultimately the DMG file, when restored, will be bootable no matter what drive it's on, but if the drive is partitioned, and it's GUID or APM matters is what I thought.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm really not sure, to be honest. I wonder what the disk itself uses...

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well first off you are certainly right about a PPC machine not booting from a hard drive with a GUID partition map.

Where I am losing this is why the original disk (or even a copy that could be burned from the .dmg file of the original) can't be used? I ask because the only way I can see to meet your desire to boot it from a hard drive is to actually have two hard drives, one using GUID and one using APM. Since the necessary type of partition table map is "drive wide" (I mean that it does not just get established on a partition by partition basis) I just don't see a way around the PPC/Intel partition map differences/requirements.