Restoring documents from Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Billabong81, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Billabong81 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm planning on doing a clean install of OS X Lion this afternoon, but want to clarify a few things before I do so. I keep backups using Time Machine.

1. I have many emails saved in my mail app that are not saved on the mail server. So is there a way to restore these from my Time Machine backup? I've read in 10.7 the mail app has been updated...will I have any problems restoring my messages?

2. I also have a ton of documents and such that I would want to restore, I can do this from Time Machine, correct? I'm afraid I will plug my HD in and it will erase everything to start backing up what it sees as a "new" install.

Maybe stupid Q's, but they're important to me :p. Thanks in advance!

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The system will pull what it needs from your SL TM data.
    Clone your drive as an extra step just in case. Don't rely on TM as your only backup.

I read your post wrong, after a clean install just copy your files back from a clone. Don't use a TM backup to restore. Once you have your data and connect your TM drive the system will ask if you want to use it with Lion.

3. Billabong81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to perform a clean install, rather than an upgrade, so it will not take the SL data.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The TM has the Snow Leopard system data on it, so I would make a clone of your system and after the clean install just move what is needed back. Once in Lion, it sees that you are using a TM backup from SL and asks what you want to do with it.