Restoring documents from Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by raven82, Jul 22, 2011.

1. raven82 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.... I took the plunge last night and did a clean install of Lion.

After the installation was complete, i ran the Migration Assistant to restore my applications, settings and files from my Time Capsule. However, although all my applications have been restored, non of my documents are there.

Could someone please help and let me know how i can get my documents off time capsule without restoring back to Snow Leopard?

Thanks

2. mike21190 macrumors member

I had the exact same problem. It was showing up that the space on the SDD was being used but none of the documents were anywhere to be found. I did a clean install and haven't retired migration assistant yet. How did you get iLife back?

3. raven82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Mike,

iLife was on my backup. Have you had any luck with the migration assistant? I went into the Apple Utilities (using the options key) to try and do a restore from time capsule, but it gave a warning that it would clear everything on my hard drive, so haven't been brave to do it.

4. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

For some reason Lion would not recognize my time machine disk from within migration assistant. I could see the disk from finder and navigate around within the backup folder but when I opened migration assistant when it got to the point of selecting the disk to restore from it would not list it. It would list my SSD boot drive and my User disk (where I keep my home folder) but no time machine disk. I ended up just reinstalling all my apps which wasn't a huge deal but would have been nice to just migrate :-(

BTW I did a fresh install of Lion onto the SSD from the Lion install DVD that I made from my iMac install. This copy went on my Mac Pro which I understand is totally legit.

5. raven82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to restore my applications from the TC, but none of my documents. Were you able to get your docs and photos back?

Just wondering if i should run the migration assistant again

6. mike21190 macrumors member

I figured it out earlier today. If you are transferring anything under your user from the previous computer, it will create a new account(the name of the account on the backup) and put all the files under that account. It will not do it if the account names are the same. I transferred all the files to one account then deleted the one from the previous computer. You have to go into the finder options so it will show the actual SDD.

7. raven82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it working as well. THe trick it to run the migration assistant once lion has installed...as opposed to logging into it first.