Restoring Donated Iphone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BARNadmin, Jun 28, 2010.

1. BARNadmin macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I work for a nonprofit and we sometimes recieve used phones as donations, I restore them to factory settings so our clients can use them. We received an iphone today (which I have never dealt with before) and I did some research and found out it is a 3GS (Not sure what firmware it has on it). The owner didn't reset the phone before he gave it to us and an alarm keeps going off, but all we can do is snooze it. Anyway, I found some ways to restore the phone but when I tried through Itunes, I got a 1601 error. Is there any way to wipe an Iphone for use by another person or is it at this point just a pretty paperweight?

I'd appreciate any help or ideas on the matter. I have tried booting the phone in DFU mode and using itunes to restore it.

(oh, and before I get attacked like many people I've seen who ask this question; this phone was donated and I have a donation form with the owners contact information. I just don't want to bother him if I don't have to.) Thanks!

2. CashDude macrumors regular

Try entering the wrong passcode 10 times and it might wipe itself.

3. BARNadmin thread starter macrumors newbie

There isn't even an option to enter a passcode. It only gives me an option to make an emergency call. I'm starting to wonder if this is the reason it was donated to us in the first place....